Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ephesus and Pergamom

What an amazing trip! I saw so many amazing places in just a few days! There is no way I can describe and tell you all about what I saw but I will try! Warning, this is long but I put pictures after I talk about them to break up the reading a bit.

After having a little trouble finding the hotel where I was suppose to meet a shuttle, I got there and had about an hour and half to kill before the shuttle came. I talked with the guy at the desk which was nice. He spoke English well. Finally the shuttle came but since it was rush hour, it took so long to get to the bus station. But I made some friends on the shuttle so it was fine. Most of them ended up being on the bus to Ephesus with me. This bus was pretty nice. More leg room then I figured and I ended up having empty seat by which was wonderful though I still didn’t sleep the best.

I was very happy waking up and being close to Ephesus. After almost getting off at the wrong stop, I got to the correct bus station where my guide was waiting for me. I was the first of the fifteen to be picked up. I really wished I could have changed and freshened up before the tour but no luck. Though when the driver and guide wasn’t looking, I changed shirts as I had a white tank top underneath and put my hair up.

First stop was the Isa Bey Mosque which is one of the few rectangle mosques. It was very pretty especially with the trees in the middle. We didn’t spend to much time here but it was a nice day to start the day. It was a beautiful sunny morning.

Then off to the House of Virgin Mary. It was at the very top of a giant hill. We were thankfully there early so there were not too many people but by the time we left there was. There was a house where people say that the Virgin Mary spent her last days. Ephesus, for those who do not know, is important for Christianity. Paul lived in Ephesus and wrote 1 Corinthians in Ephesus.

Then off to the main site of the ancient city of Ephesus. It was so awesome! I was talking with this guy and we just could not believe we were walking around the ruins. Only about 25% of the ruins have been discovered as it takes so much time. It makes you think what else is there. I saw many temples, columns, theaters and of course, the Library of Celsus. We spent lots of time learning about the city and though I don’t remember it all, it was such a wonderful experience.
First look!

Good view of whole city!

The Library of Celsus

After an okay lunch, we had the great pleasure of seeing how carpets are made (sarcasm). It wasn’t that bad as I had a nice conversation with a women from Australia. We then went to the Ephesus Archeological Museum and saw lots of Ephesus excavations. By this time, all of us were really tired due to all the walking and heat!

We then went to the Temple of Artemis. It wasn’t what I was expecting as there was not much left but it was still cool. It is one of the Seven Wonder of the Ancient World.


By this point, we were all ready to be done with tour but then the guide said there was a gathering to end the tour. We were all suspicious and it turned out to be this weird fashion show of jackets. There were about four young people showing of jackets and usually four of the same moves the whole time. And then we had to walk through all the jackets to get out and also through some jewelry. We finally got out and we all laughing about how ridiculous it was!

I was then dropped of at my hotel and it was such a nice hotel. I told a shower and then chilled by the pool until dinner. Dinner was good and it had more selection of dessert then the main course. I crashed about 8:30 and thoroughly enjoyed my bed all night as I knew I had a overnight bus the next night as well!

I woke up a little after eight and had a decent breakfast at the hotel. I was surprised that I wasn’t getting picked up until 9:40 as my itinerary said 8. Thankfully I found out through a fax they gave me the night before. A small van picked me up and I discovered it was just six people on the tour. It did not start well though as we had to pick up a couple at the airport and their plane was late. There was an Italian couple who were very upset while a man from California who is currently working in Poland and I were just annoyed. We still had about two hours to travel before we would arrive in Pergamom.

We finally get to Pergamom! We saw lots of ruins some more intact then others. We saw the Sanctuary of Trahan, Athena and Dionysus, just naming a few. The Library of Pergamom is the second best in the ancient but there wasn’t much left of it. It was very windy but once again, it was really cool. We then had a super late lunch (3:30) and then we headed to an ancient medical center of physician and scholars. It was only for the mentally ill.  They said that death could not enter so they basically wouldn’t let anyone in that could die, like pregnant mothers and old people. The mentally ill would go into the hallways and pray to the gods through an opening the roof. Then the people in charge would talk back to them, telling them they would be okay. Of course, the patients thought the gods were talking.


It was VERY windy!


Statue of Trajan


Theater

After that, we drove three hours back to Ephesus, was dropped off at my hotel, then picked up by another shuttle and taken to a bus station to get my ticket and waited in another place for the bus. The overnight bus smelled but I was so exhausted I didn’t care. I thankfully slept mostly all the way and was woken up at six this morning saying we had arrived in Istanbul. A guy helped me figure out how to get to the ferry and then got on it and then my good ol bus 19 back home. It was so wonderful to arrive back to my flat. It was such an amazing adventure, one that I will never forget!









No comments:

Post a Comment