Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Normal



I have been thinking about what I consider normal has drastically changed while being here in Turkey. I just wanted to share some things that have just become normal to me.

Going to Europe for the day from Asia by a ferry or a bus.

Eating bread for breakfast.

Having professors come to class thirty minutes late and students coming late and leaving early.

Not being able to understand conversations around me in class, on the bus or really anywhere.

Being stared at everywhere I go by men, women and especially children.

Going to a grocery store and having to base all the food on the picture on the package.

Being the best English speaker and having to help friends with their English.

Spending an hour and a half on two buses to get to church.

Being super excited when I pass by English speaking people.

Playing the game, “Who is Turkish and Who is American”, especially in more tourist places. It is really fun!

Surprising museum admissions staff when I show them my student ID.

Taking many modes of transportation in a week (or day) such as a bus, ferry, metro, tram, metro bus and taxi.

Washing dishes by hand and hanging clothes around my room to dry.

Seeing women veiled, either a headscarf or a burqa.

Going to a popular site and seeing men armed with large guns.

People smoking everywhere and then throwing the cigarettes on the ground

So this is my normal life for seven more weeks . I know I will have a large culture shock going back to the States where I no longer have my “normal” life that I have lived these past few months. So for now, I will keep enjoying my life here in Turkey and live up the rest of my time here! Crazy that in exactly seven weeks, I will be on a plane home!

No comments:

Post a Comment