Thursday, April 19, 2012

Food As Memories


I realized today as I was uploaded some pictures to Facebook is food is such a big part of the my photos. Most of the time it is because it is different then what I am use to. But other times, it is because it reminds me of people.

For example, I went to the grocery store last week and was so excited to find fruit leather. One of my friends, Beth from school, loves fruit leather and we have eaten it together and it is so tasty.

There are corn stands around especially the more tourist places. Some of them are cups of corn while others are corn on the cob. Of course I miss my Iowa sweet corn so I thought I would try them. The cup was okay and the corn on the cob was just cold and nasty!

A few days ago, my best friend from Beloit who is currently in Senegal, blogged about a certain type of cookie that is imported from Turkey. I had seen them in stores but never tried them before so today I bought some. They were tasty but even more because I knew she has been eating them in Senegal.

I also today tried Nutella for the first time in years. When I went to Germany when I was younger, I did not like it so I have been saying I do not like it while being here. So today, as I went to the store to by the cookies, I saw a single serving size and decided to try it. I put it on some bread and it was quite tasty. So now I can say I do in fact, like Nutella.

Anyway, I do enjoy most of the food in Turkey and I will miss it when I head back home in eight weeks. But I also will enjoy eating pork and skim milk again.
Here are some fun pictures of food J


Chicken Doner. SO much tastier then it looks!

I was happy to have a cheeseburger but was confused at such a sharp knife they gave me

Turkish Fruit Leather

Had to have Ramen once here.

The cookies in honor of Val

Second piece with Nutella

And licking the rest from the container



1 comment:

  1. So glad you like nutella now...I've had corn on the cob twice here, and it's good but they don't put salt and butter on it. They add sugar and powdered milk, same as the popcorn. It sounds weird but it's good. And they have corn in a cup at the WI state fair and it's one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete