Monday, March 5, 2012

I rode a camel! (And had many other adventures in Cappadocia)

This weekend so jammed packed full with so much adventure. The exchange program took a trip to Cappadocia which is a city in eastern Turkey. We left about 9:45 as we were suppose to leave at 9 but that is Turkish Time for you. We took a bus and it took us 12 hours. Yes, it was a very large trip. It was only suppose to take about eight but we stopped so many times!

We arrived about ten to our hotel. We stayed at the Flintstones Cave Hotel so the rooms looked very cave like which was fun. We had a Turkish breakfast and then we were off for our day of adventure. Our first stop was to see the underground cities. During the 6th and 7th centuries, Persians and Arabic armies were sent to kill all Christians. Christians built underground cities to live in temporary when they were being persecuted. It was amazing to walk on the first few floors and see all the rooms, knowing that early Christians stood where I stood. Some of the rooms were labeled such as “church” or “living room”.

We then headed to Guvercinlik (Pigeon Valley). There were indeed many pigeons! It was an amazing view of all the rocks that were covered in snow. The whole day I saw so many hills and mountains that were just beautiful. We had lunch and then went to a pottery shop. We had a tour of a family owned business. We saw how the whole process of making the pottery and designing it went. At the end, several people were able to try to make a pot, including me. I had to put on some crazy looking pants so I won’t get clay on my jeans and sat in front of a pottery wheel. They usually use an electric one but we used a manual. It was very fun but lets just say pottery making is not in my future!

We then went to an area with many rocks that were many shapes and sizes. As soon as we got off the bus, I saw a camel. I just had to see it! So I went over and decided that I would ride the camel. I mean, when else am I ever going to ride one! I climbed a ladder and went in a circle, being lead by a man. It was so fun! After that, I climbed some of the rocks with some others people. Then we went to another area with rocks that were shaped liked many things. The guide was pointing out all the shapes and I could see some but it takes great imagination for some of the shapes he was talking about! There was a camel, a lizard and one that looked like an open hand. Then we went to a Wine House. I tried a sip and it was gross.

We headed back to the hotel for a bit and then went to a restaurant for Turkish Night. It was so much fun. When we entered, it was not like I predicted. We sat in raised areas so everyone could see the floor as there was also entertainment. As we ate our appetizers, we watched musicians and dancers. It was quite a show. Then a belly dancer came out as they are fairly famous in Turkey. She was very good and tried to get a few guys from the audience to try it with her. It was great food and wonderful night with friends.

The next day we had breakfast and headed home. We stopped at Salt Lake but just stayed for a few minutes. We drove all day and got home at 10:30 last night. It was a wonderful weekend but I was so tired and sick of the bus. Unfortunately my stomach decided to hurt the whole time so the bus rides were not fun at all but despite that, it was a great weekend.

I have been in Turkey now for about a month and I have seen and experienced so many amazing things. I am really living up this experience!

My friend Sasha and I in the underground city

A beautiful view

Trying to make a bowl

On a camel!

No comments:

Post a Comment