Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blue Mosques, Baths and Bohstedts!

Yesterday was filled with so many events. I first was able to experience the beautiful Blue Mosque. As soon as I walked in, my mouth just dropped. It was that amazing. There were so many vibrant colors and patterns. I walked around and then just sat down and look all around. It was truly one of the most beautiful pieces of architecture I have ever seen. (Which if you know my dad, I have seen a lot of architecture in my life!)

I walked around the area as I was waiting for my family. I ended up going into the Turkish and Islamic Art Museum. It was filled with some many artifacts from many time periods. From giant carpets to statues to candleholders, they were all gorgeous.

I was waiting while drinking cay (tea) and then my Aunts came up to me. It was so wonderful to see them. Both my Aunts had been traveling along with my dad. It was my Aunt Cynthia’s last day and we made the most of it. Dad arrived a few minutes later and it made me so happy to be able to hug and see dad again. Us women then went to a traditional Turkish bath that was built in 1584.

I had never been to a Turkish bath and had no idea what to expect. Aunt Cynthia was describing it to me and it sounded amazing, and it was! The baths are separated between men and women as you have little clothing on. We changed and went into a room with many women lying on a circular raised floor. We were given a towel and then we laid on it while waiting to be washed. It was nice to be inside a warm area just relaxing. A lady then directed me to the side of the floor so she could wash me. Then she covered me in soap. It was like a bubble bath! She then washed my hair. After a while, I went into a pool and met up with my Aunts. Then it was time for my thirty minute oil massage. It was so relaxing and amazing. After the massage, the three of us talked and drank apple tea. The whole experience was a birthday present from them to me. It was a wonderful present that I will never forget!

We then met up with dad at a nice restaurant after stopping to buy gloves from a lady that Aunt Cynthia bought from before and also some soap in cute tin containers. It was very nice just talking and eating with my family. It was kind of surreal being in Turkey talking with them like it was so normal. I had a really good dinner with a variety of meat and a milkshake. However, here, milkshakes do not contain ice cream which I didn’t know until I got it. But it was still tasty.

After dinner, we headed to their hotel and talked a bit. But everyone was tired so I headed home. I was going to take a ferry back to Kadikoy but the ferry was closed. Thankfully I ran into a nice guy from Texas who helped me figure out how to get back. I got home about midnight and was so tired and happy to be home.

It was so great seeing my family and I will be seeing dad and my mom in about a week and a half!


Blue Mosque

Me inside Blue Mosque

My lovely family

No comments:

Post a Comment