Thursday, March 22, 2012

Foreigner

Where are you from? That is the number one question I am asked wherever I go. The frustrating part of it is that I try so hard to blend in. When I go to the market, I use the little Turkish I know. But during the interaction, they always ask where I am from in English. I will be walking down the street, minding my own business and storekeepers shout, “Where are you from?”. I, of course have learned to ignore these people as they just want me to buy something.

Most days I am fine being ask where I am from but some days, it really gets under my skin. I know I look foreign, six food tall redhead is not a common sight in Turkey. I get many stares, especially from little girls. Young girls will just stare at me and sometimes laugh at me. I just want to blend in and been seen as part of Turkey. To walk down the street without be shouted at would be amazing. However, I know that will not happen and I have to come to terms with that.

I really love Turkey and being immersed into the culture even if I stand out. I have learned so much about Turkey through classes but mostly through experiencing it which is by far the best way!

Mom and Dad are visiting me tomorrow! I can’ t wait to show them MY (Asian) side of Istanbul. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment