Monday, March 12, 2012

Yeah I do go to school…

So I realize that I haven’t really talked about my classes so here I go. I am taking four classes two Sociology and two History courses.

My favorite class is Social Problems in Turkey. It is so interesting hearing about the problems that are happening in Turkey from a sociological prospective. Turkey is such a unique and diverse country and I’m enjoying learning about them. We have talked about women employment as only twenty percent of women work and also urbanization and the Wealth Tax.

I also am enjoying Gender in Society. I feel like I have an advantage in this class as I have taken several gender classes at Beloit. What I am really enjoying is talking about gender in a global prospective and not just white, middle class women in America.

My favorite history class in Ottoman Empire in Modern Period. The professor is really nice and smart. I didn’t really know anything about Ottoman Empire and I am learning so much. The professor likes to use me as an example to make the students speak English. It sometime works.

My least favorite class is Contemporary World History. The material is interesting but the actual class is frustrating. The professor speaks poor English but thankfully writes basically everything down on the board. She just lectures for an hour and a half, weaving between Turkish and English. We had a quiz last week that was open book/open note. I didn’t really see the point of it. Though despite the poor teaching, I am learning a lot from the readings.

Turkish students are different then American students. They come to class very late and will just leave in the middle of class. Even though this is an English school, mostly all the students speak Turkish and hate speaking English. The professor will speak in English and then sometimes repeat the same thing in Turkish. Also the students will ask questions in Turkish. Thankfully the professors usually rephrase everything in English. So sitting in class, I can’t understand side conversations or anything like that but it is becoming normal. Though sometimes arguments get heated and I would like to know what everyone is a saying or when everyone is laughing. It is a new experience also having better grammar and spelling then my professors. But overall, I am enjoying studying at Yeditepe.

The hill I climb everyday to school

The street I cross. The school gate is on this side.

One of many wonderful views of Istanbul on campus

No comments:

Post a Comment