Sunday, March 25, 2012

Parents and Prince Islands

Friday, I had a lovely visit from Mom and Dad. They were already at the gate when I arrived after class. It was really great seeing them again especially Mom as I hadn’t seen her seen the very beginning of February. But of course, I was also happy to see Dad even if it was just a few weeks apart!

We first went to my flat and showed them my home away from home. We then went to a restaurant near my flat and we all had waffles! They were so good. When you say waffle in Turkey, it means, waffle with different types of chocolate on the bottom and any type of fruit you want on top. So tasty. Then, I showed them the campus and we went to the library and Mom spotted the government docs as she used to work with them at Grinnell. We then decided to go to Kadikoy. We went to the train station that is very old and used to run from Greece to Istanbul but just recently, a few months ago, shut it down. I have heard for just a few years but I have also heard other things. It is such a gorgeous building inside. We then sat by the seaside and talked for a while. It was great being able to tell them all about what I have been doing and also them telling me about life back home and their trip. Then we got some ice cream and talked so more. We said goodbye as they ran to catch the right ferry. It was a wonderful day spending time with them.

Yesterday, a group of friends and I headed to the Prince Islands. We were not quite sure how to get there but we finally figured it out and got on the correct ferry. There are five islands total and we decided to go the second one. It was a beautiful 60 degrees out. We didn’t really know where to go so we just started walking until we came up a hill and walked up. Little did we know, that would be the first of a long hike up a mountain! As we were walking, we found a little path that took us to lovely view of the water and other islands. Some of us climbed down the rocks to the shore. It was just so amazing being in nature. The islands do not allow cars or buses so it was just us and nature.

We went off the regular path and just started walking up the mountain. It was getting warm but after being bundled up in a coat for months, I was enjoying the sweat and warmth. We finally got to the top and it was not what we were expecting. It was very grassy and had lots of trees. We all sat on the ground and took off our shoes to rest for a while was so nice. We then walked around and found a house and a cemetery. The tombstones were in Greek and some of them were old but some were dated 1960s or even younger.

At that point, our group divided up. A few people walked down the other side of the mountain to get to the beach. Since one of our friends was feeling sick, she was still on the side of the mountain. A friend, Chelsea, and I walked down to try to find her but took a different easier path. We found her along with the two guys were went down the way we came. We had some food and ice cream when we got back down. Melissa and I decided to go back as she wasn’t feeling well but had to wait an hour for the ferry and by that point, other friends were ready to head back.

After going between the hot inside of the ferry and cold outside, we finally reached Kadikoy. Melissa and I headed home in a crowded bus but we listen to RENT so it was totally fine. I was so exhausted and slept about eleven hours. I realized a few hours ago, I got a little burnt.

It was a wonderful weekend and today has been cleaning my room and doing homework. I have a midterm on Thursday. My midterms are spaced out so much so I have a midterm each week for a month. It is nice to have that much time to study for each other them but it feels like tests never end. I can’t believe it is already the end of March. Time flies when you are having fun!

So for some reason, it is not letting me load photos. I promise to upload some of them soon on here!

2 comments:

  1. Photo loading on google blogger is the biggest pain! It takes such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! But today, thankfully it worked :)

      Delete