Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fun Filled Weekend

Yes ,I do realize that it is Tuesday but I have not had a chance to write about my great weekend. Friday was nice and relaxing. I only had one hour of class and then I had lunch with two girls who are in two of my classes and are very friendly. I can’t have a conversation with them however, as they have poor English and it takes a while to get a sentence out. Even though it is sometimes hard to communicate, I enjoy being with them. I decided to order in Friday night. There is this amazing website that shows all the places that deliver in my area. I can order pizza, burger, Chinese, Japanese, dessert and more. I tried to order Burger King as I thought that would be a fun experience. However after I placed my order, they called and told me (in broken English) my address was out of the area. So then I ordered Dominos and they delivered in about 15 minutes. It was quite tasty. I then had a Skype date with Darrell as it was our one year anniversary of dating. It was great seeing and hearing him even though Skype wasn’t working the best.

I got up early Saturday ready for a busy fun day. We were suppose to met at 8 but of course not everyone was on time and left at 8:30. It was a nice sized group of about eight students. We had several Turkish students, which would be very useful and a guy who knew the historical parts of where were going. We went to Kadikoy, got on the ferry and headed to the European side. We went to a restaurant where they sold the famous Turkey fish sandwich. I did not order one as I am not a fan of fish and had a chicken doner instead which is very tasty. However, I did try the fish sandwich and if I liked fish, it would have been much better!

We then went to the Spice or Egyptian Bazaar which was so awesome. It is a huge place with so many shops full of candy, food, clothes, souvenirs, ect. It was so much fun walk around and seeing all the shops. Though at some places, you could not stop as you would get run over! We would mostly stay in a group but sometimes had “free time” to go where we wanted. I ,of course had to buy some stuff. I got a really cute turtle ring that made me think of Beloit, some gifts and some Turkish Delights!

We stopped at a nice place and ate some dessert. I got Turkish Tea and Baklava with pistachios and it was so delicious! We then walked to the Galata Tower which was completed in 1348. We did not climb it as we had already done much walking but we did eat near the tower. It was a really cool restaurant and we relaxed after a busy day. We then walked to Taskim which is another district with many shops and attractions. By this point, we are all tired and had spent more then 12 hours together so we got a bus and headed home. I fell asleep on the bus for a few minutes and woke up with my friends taking pictures of me. It was a really great day spending it with my friends and just being crazy together.

Sunday I went shopping with another girl from Beloit and it was really fun. There is a very large mall only about a thirty minute bus ride from campus. We went into many stores as they were all having sales. We both got rainboots for only 20 Lira which is about 12 dollars. Mine, of course are purple. I got a few cute tops and she also did. We decided to eat McDonalds just to see if it tasted the same. The fries were about the same but the chicken nuggets were different and actually tasted better. We walked around more and then end the trip with a smoothie as a juice bar in the mall. My tasted just like Starbursts. It was really fun hanging out with Melissa and being able to have conversations without a language barrier.

These past few days I have been losing my voice which is pretty bad as you know I love to talk! Asude told me that ginger, lemon and honey helps so I went out today to try to find these items. I did have honey but I did not shut it well and the ants decided to enjoy it. I walked around were I live and I found lemon but could not find ginger. Go ahead, make ginger jokes ☺. I did try to explain about gingers, redheads, to Asude and I think she just found it weird. Anyway, I think tomorrow I will go to a shopping center to try to find ginger.

It was a great weekend and I look forward to this coming weekend as I am taking a trip to Cappadocia.

(Sorry about no pictures. It wouldn't let me upload them)

No comments:

Post a Comment