Monday, February 13, 2012

Fun Facts About Turkey

People here do not eat peanut butter. It took me several stores to find some and my Turkish flatmate has never eaten it.

The traffic is crazy! Taxis, buses and cars all are fighting for a lane. They are less then a few inches away from each other.

It is funny to be past a street with all Turkish names and then I see McDonalds or Burger King. Yesterday at the mall I saw Payless, Nike, KFC and many other American brands.

So many hills…

Nobody drinks skim milk! I’m going a little crazy. I bought some milk yesterday that said I believe is one percent. I will see how it tastes.

Pictures of Ataturk, the founder of the Turkish Republic, are everywhere! And nobody is allowed to say anything negative or you can get arrested. YouTube was banned for two years due to a negative video about him.

They have medal detectors at shopping malls.

They really don’t eat hummus.

Girls wear leggings as pants here just like in the US…

Hardly anyone has dryers so my clothes are all over my room for a day or more to dry.

Just like in the US, clothes in my size are hard to find. I tried on a really cute dress but it was way too short!

It rarely snows and when it does, everyone freaks out. They haven’t had as much snow as they have had in the past few weeks in more then four years. Honestly, it isn’t that much in my Midwest opinion.

Food is fairly cheap here.

They write the date before and month, today 13-2 and they use military time though they don’t call it that.

People are not on time. This morning, my professor was forty minutes late! I am a person who is always on time or early so this one is hard to swallow.

Everyone is so friendly. Two girls in my class this morning were talking to me and invited me to go to the European side of Istanbul with them on Friday. Their English is not very good but we still communicate and had fun at lunch today.

So now you know a little more about Turkey! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment