Thursday, February 16, 2012

God is Ever-Present

Ever since I started the whole process of studying abroad, I prayed that it would be a wonderful experience and that I would know everything would be okay as God would always be with me. I prayed and trusted Him through the whole process. The night before I left, I poured my heart out to God and told him I was trusting him completely. I know I have said this to Him more times then I can count but I truly meant it. I told Him that He was in control and whatever happens is His Will.

As I was waiting for my plane in Des Moines and all the way until I landed in Istanbul, I had so many emotions that I could not even distinguish them all. I was beyond excited but also scared to death. God has been my comfort and my reassurance that everything would be okay. My first few days here were really rough. I questioned why I came and thought I would never get used to it. As I was alone in my dorm, I prayed so often. For Him to grant me peace and comfort though I was thousands of miles away from home.

Looking back on the last two weeks, there is no way I could have done it without God. Every step He has been there, guiding me and never letting me go. He calmed my nerves and let me know it was all okay. He led me to find an apartment right off campus with an extremely nice and helpful Turkish girl. He put people in my life that have now become my friends. He gave me the patience to figure out how to register for classes and not get frustrated with people not arriving on time.

I ran into an old friend of mine that I knew from a camp I used to work at in Nebraska in Istanbul. It was such a God thing. He brought us together and it was so nice seeing him as I felt alone and no knowing anyone. Just a few days ago, I went to register my phone and gave them my passport. Without realizing, I left my passport at the store. About twenty minutes later, a couple came up to me at the food court and told me I forgot it. This was a huge mall! I would have been in a lot of trouble but God was present. I was also able to witness to a new friend of mine. Some of my friends were going to an erotic shop while we were walking around Kadikoy but I told them I wasn’t going to go. One the way home, one of my friends asked me if I was religious and said that saying no stood out to her. It was something small but impactful.

There has been one song that has really helped me these past few weeks. It is called, “Already There” by Casting Crowns. It talks about how from my prospective, I have no idea where my life is going to take me or how my all my experiences will affect me. However, God already knows my story and I just need to trust. Part of the song goes:

“One day I’ll stand before You and look back on the life I’ve lived. I can’t wait to enjoy the view and see how all the pieces fit”

I believe everything happens for a reason and I do look forward to the day I can look back and see how pieces of my life fit.

I have already grown as a person here and I know that I will continue to grow. An example is that I have become more patient. I know, crazy! But instead of obsessing about how everyone in my class is late, I relax and know they will show up. It is also some nice God time. I always appreciate your thoughts and prayers and I know God is going to use me for great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment