Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Adventure!

I am doing so much better then the past few days! Today a friend and I went to the European side of Istanbul and it was so wonderful. We went got on a bus this morning and after trying to explain in English to the driver we wanted to be taken to the ferry, we hoped that we would actually get there. Thankfully we did after being on a very small cramped bus for about forty minutes. We arrived at the ferry and once we got on it, we sat on the outside so we could see. It was so beautiful out and there was so much to see. I could see mosques in the distance and so many buildings.

Once we got to the European side, we just started walking. This girl, who is from Hungary, actually went there yesterday by herself and knew how to get to places. We walked around and it was just amazing. It really sunk it that I was in Turkey and I was excited for the first time in a few days. We went to a café and I got water (su) and she got a latte. Bottled water is very cheap and is sold all over the place. We then went back to the ferry to meet another girl who was from Germany.

Then we went to the Hagia Sophia and it was so amazing and beautiful. I took a class at Beloit called Islamic Art and Architecture and I learn about the Hagia Sophia so it was very cool to actually be there. I took many pictures that I will upload to Facebook very soon. I was just in awe of everything in it, the pictures, the dome and all the lights. I also saw the Blue Mosque but I will save going inside for another day.

When then went back to the same café as it was very well priced and ate. I had a toasted cheese and salami sandwich which was tasty. I haven’t been very adventurous with my food choice yet but I will soon. We got back on the ferry and went inside as it was getting chilly. Then we got on a much bigger bus and due to traffic, it took about an hour to get back. And now I am relaxing in my room. We walked around a lot so I am worn out.

I have learned quite a lot today just by interacting with Turkish people. I first learned that I do not blend in at all due to mostly the red hair and also being tall. I was stared at quite a bit today. And since I look so American, I was shouted a lot. A few samples,

“Are you taller then me. Come over here for us to find out”.

“Are you Charlie’s Angels”

Of course, all the people, which were all men, shouting wanted something from us, either to eat at their place or buy something from them. My friend from Hungary was scammed. This man with cleaning supplies walked past us and dropped his brush. My friend gave it back to him and as soon as he started to follow us, I knew it was a scam. He has her put her foot on this stool and he cleaned both her boots. As he was doing this, he talked in broken English about his young daughter who was in the hospital. After he was done, he wanted eight Turkish Lira but she only gave him one and then we walked away. I learned the skill of ignoring people very quickly.

Overall, the people are very nice and helpful. One lady came up to me while I was sitting on the bench and tried to talk to be in Turkish. I had no idea what she was saying but she was very nice. When I tried to get a bus pass, I didn’t know what to say so they young man behind me helped me out. It was a great feeling that they wanted to help me out.

A really amazing thing happened while I was out. I ran into a guy who I knew when I worked at Camp Rivercrest in Nebraska during the summers. He would be the speaker some weeks. Chris Clinchard is his name and he has been in Turkey for about a week or so. He contacted me the night I arrived but I had no idea how to get to the European side so I didn't think we would meet. Well today, after leaving the Hagia Sohpia, I heard my name. I turn around and there he was! I was walking outside of his hotel! What are the chances of a city of about fourteen million people we would see each other! It was great seeing him and of course we took pictures to prove it!

I am looking forward to Orientation tomorrow so I can meet more international students. It has been interesting talking to people who English isn’t their first language. I will say a word at times and then I have to explain it. Such as the word “awkward”, when I was talking about the awkward stairs at Beloit. I have learned a lot from others already and I’m looking forward to learning even more.

I know that was a lot of information! I am just very happy with how today went.

Here are two pictures. The first one is the outside of Hagia Sophia and the one that is pictured on all the postcards and guide books.

The second picture is my friends and I standing in front of the mosaic panel Deesis: Judgement Day. It is Jesus enthroned between the Virgin mary and St John the Baptist.

That is it for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment