Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Orientation and Finding an Apartment Day!!

Wow! Let’s just say that today was crazy and had much information thrown at me! It was really fun though. Orientation went well and I sat by other people who are in the Fine Arts as they say. I am studying Sociology and the other people in my group mostly are studying either Sociology or Anthropology. I was given a packet at the door that had little packets about the university and the international club. Several different people spoke and there was also a slide show. It was a little crazy when they were talking about all the different appointments we needed to make for various items such as residence permits, bus passes, ect…

Thankfully, I was not at all the only one feeling that way as all the international students I talked to also felt overwhelmed with everything. We were given a tour of the school though it wasn’t like the tour I had in mind. We went to a few places but the questions I asked they didn’t know the answer. It made me miss giving tours at Beloit! After the tour, a group of girls and I went and ate on campus. The campus has so many places to eat but we choose the one where you don’t have to order. It is a long line and you just point to the food you want. It was great just sitting and eating with them.

After lunch, I went on the adventure of trying to figure out classes. I found out earlier today that registration is already over and I also told I need a username and password which I did not have. So I figured out where to find my username and password after asking several people. I then found my Sociology Advisor and I talked to him about classes. The plan is that I will go to the classes I choose and then in a few weeks is add/drop which is when I will add my classes. I already knew I wanted to take Social Problem in Turkey. I also wanted to take a history class but my advisor didn’t know anything about it so I had to search for the History Department. I then had to find a professor and ask him if that class I wanted, History of Turkish Republic, was in English and it wasn’t so then he showed me which classes were in English. So I will be taking Ottoman Civilization in Modern Period. I then went to the Turkish Department as I need to take Turkish or I will not survive! I thought because it was an English University mostly everyone would speak English. Wrong! Mostly all the staff speak only Turkish and most of the students will only speak English in the classroom. So I intend to hang out with the international students who speak English. Then the fourth class I will be taking is another Sociology class, Gender in Society.

I felt much better after I figured my classes out. I then went back to my room and started searching for apartment (flats as they call them) on Craigslist. I found several that looked good but one was searching for a female and it was right by campus. I emailed her and she replied right away so in less then an hour, I met her and went to the flat. It is a very simple apartment which is fine. I have my own room with a wardrobe. There is a bathroom, shower room and a small kitchen. It is also a very nice price. I am moving in tomorrow and I am quite excited. It will be nice to unpack and make it feel more like home. I am living with a Turkish girl who also attends my university.

I had my first Turkish tea since I have been here with her and it was tasty. I also had my first chocolate. The campus has a huge student center with shops such as a food store and bookstore. I went to the food store and saw so many things I had no idea what they were. I had to buy something so I bought this chocolate bar that was kind of like a Ho-Ho but it was a sponge like cake dipped in chocolate with some chocolate sauce in it at the top. It was quite tasty.

It has been so interesting hearing some people speak English with so many accents, from Poland, Germany, Holland, Russia and so many more. I found it funny when someone tonight told me they liked accent. Tonight, a huge group of international students and Turkish Students who help us (Buddys) hung out tonight and it was great. Everyone was so friendly.

Today made me feel so much better about my experience here. I’m looking forward to taking trips with the international group like this Saturday they are going on a tour of Istanbul, which I want to go on. I have learned so much already and I know I will continue to learn so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment