Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Simple But Meaningful Interaction

Yesterday morning as I was about to enter the campus, I bought a simit for breakfast. A simit is circular bread with sesame seeds and there are many stands all over where you can buy them. They are only one Lira, which is about fifty cents and a very common breakfast food. The conversation went like this:

Me: Merhaba (Hello)

Seller: Merhaba

Me: Bir (one) while pointing to the bread I wanted

Seller: Bir Lira (One Lira)

Me: Gave him a Lira and said Tesekkurler (Thanks)

Seller: Tesekkurler

It was so simple but I was so proud that I was able to communicate with him by using the very little Turkish I know. Sometimes I get frustrated, as many people here do not speak English even on campus. As I walked into campus, I smiled as I was starting to become much more comfortable here.

No comments:

Post a Comment