Monday, June 25, 2012

Back in Grinnell!


I don’t know if anyone reads this anymore but I just wanted to give an update. I am back in Grinnell for the summer.

My plane ride home was long and somewhat uncomfortable due to my sunburn. But my long ride from Amsterdam to Detroit wasn’t too bad as I had a TV in front of me so I watched several movies to pass the time. I was very overwhelmed when I landed in Detroit. The biggest thing was that I heard English all around me which I haven’t heard in more then four months. It was also weird being welcomed to the US. Everything hit me while getting my baggage and I started to cry. But I got it together and took my baggage through customs and re-checked it so it would get to Des Moines. I went through more security in Detroit then any other airport. This is when I realized, my whole legs were blistered and were popping and getting my jeans and shoes wet. I was miserable and just ready to get home. We get on the plane to head to Des Moines but there was a mechanical problem so we had to get off the plane. Thankfully, there was another one available so we were just delayed about one and a half hours. I finally got into the Des Moines airport and ran to hug my dad. It was so great to see him. We drove home and I stayed up to talk with them and Mark but then I headed to bed.

The next day, my legs still looked horrible. I met up with my friend Molly at Dari Barn and I had my cookie dough cyclone I had been looking forward to. That night, my family goes to Pizza Ranch and everyone gave me sympathetic looks as I was wearing a dress and my back was really burnt. Mom and I then headed to the ER for my legs. Turned out I had second degree burns. I had to put ointment on them and keep them wrapped and was suppose to stay out of the sun. Well I was flying to Florida the next day to be with Darrell and his family. But it all turned out fine. I spent a week in Florida with them and even though I stayed inside most of the time, it was still a lot of fun. My legs look so much better. No more blisters and scabs. They are just pink looking but that will heal with time.

So now I am back in Grinnell until I head back to Beloit in mid August. It was great going to church yesterday morning and welcomed with lots of smiles and hugs. I am still processing my experience and just coming back home. I smile when I say home because home has so many meanings. Grinnell will always be home but sometimes it is weird to be in my room because I am just gone so much. Beloit is also home and Istanbul will also always be home. But for now, I am home in good ol’ Grinnell IA.

I am hoping to post later when I process more about my experience and how my summer is going. Thank you for all your prayers and support. You all are awesome!

1 comment:

  1. I still read it! I check every day :) I am so glad that your legs are feeling better. MISS YOU TONS! I can't wait to hear about your summer adventures too :)

    ReplyDelete